All students must be in possession of a passport that will be valid for at least six months after the end date of the semester in the UK. Please ensure your passport number and expiry date are written on your pre-arrival forms. Students without such a passport must apply for one immediately and notify us of their passport number and expiry date as soon as possible. Note, a passport application can take around six weeks to process and if you need to apply for a visa you will need to be in possession of a valid passport to enable you to begin your visa application three months prior to the start of semester.

Short-term Students

Most students will not need to obtain a visa and they should be able to enter the UK as a short-term student without prior entry clearance (please check below to see if you need to obtain a visa). This category is outside the Points Based System. Students who do not require a visa for entry to the UK will need to show the immigration officer the following upon arrival in the UK:

- A US passport that will be valid for at least six months after the end date of the semester in the UK.
- An immigration letter from ASE confirming acceptance on to the Programme (sent in final mailing).
- Proof of funding for the period of study (this must be a recent bank statement in your name, or included as a joint account holder, dated within one month of the semester start date and should include proof of scholarship or financial aid funding). There is no set amount of funds you need to have in your bank account, just an amount which can be considered as adequate for living expenses.
- A return flight ticket or further adequate funds to purchase a flight ticket
Please note: Short-term Students are not permitted to undertake any paid, unpaid or volunteer work, and cannot stay longer than six months (in any 12 month period) in the UK.


Who Needs to Apply for and Obtain a Visa
Only the following students need to apply for and obtain a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa prior to arrival in the UK:
- Internship students
- Education students
- Non-US citizens (unless an EU citizen). Note you will need to apply for a Short-term Study Visa in this instance (unless you will be undertaking a placement or studying in the UK for more than six months)
- Students who will be studying on the ASE Programme for more than one semester (even if returning to the US between semesters), or if the student will be studying with another UK provider for a semester prior to the ASE semester

Students will be sent information to help them with their visa application three months before the start of semester. Note that visa applications cannot be made more than 3 months in advance of the start of the semester and you MUST be in possession of a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies number (CAS) from ASE AND confirmation of an internship/education placement (if applicable) BEFORE you begin your Tier 4 (General) Student Visa application (unless you are a non-US citizen and will therefore be applying for a Short-term Study Visa, for which you will need a letter from ASE confirming your acceptance onto the ASE Programme and fees paid, instead of a CAS).

If you are responsible for the payment of your fees to ASE, these will need to be paid before a CAS can be assigned and sent to you (if financial aid will cover some of your fees you must let us know, as a letter will need to be obtained from your financial aid office. You will also need to pay the balance of fees which will not be covered by financial aid).

The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

A CAS is an electronic reference number which ASE will assign to a student should they need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. To generate a CAS, we will input information on the UK Border Agency’s Sponsorship Management System regarding your course of study, fees paid and personal details.
ASE has to pay for each CAS generated (and we have a limited number which cannot be re-used once assigned to a student), so please make sure you let us know immediately if you change your mind about wanting to apply for a visa. CASs will be generated approximately three months prior to the semester for those students who need to apply for a visa (education/internship students).

Cost of Visa Application

The cost of a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa will be £310 (approximately $527) and a Short-term Study Visa will be £83 (approximately $141). The fees are updated in April each year.

Non-US Citizens

If you are a non-US citizen (and a non-EU citizen) and you wish to travel outside the UK whilst studying in Bath, you will need to apply for a separate visa for each country you plan to visit, as well as a British Short-term Study Visa.

PLEASE NOTE: If a student wishes to arrive in the UK before the official arrival day or stay after the end of the semester, please be aware of the start and end date of your Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.
If you enter the UK before the start date of your visa, you will need to exit the UK and re-enter within the valid date of your visa so that your Tier 4 (General) Student Visa can be activated (and stamped by an immigration officer at the airport).

If you wish to find out in advance what will be involved in a student visa application, please refer to under the section ‘Visas and Immigration’.